FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

Covid-19 | Boston Music Awards update

Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the 2020 Boston Music Awards will look a little different. We’re continuing to monitor State guidelines for any changes that may allow a large in-person event, but the health and safety of our guests is something we’d never put at risk. With that said, there will be no in-person celebration this year. We sincerely apologize for this disappointing news.

Like you, we’ve missed live music more than we can put into words. However, the spirit displayed by our music community — even under these terrible conditions — has given us hope for a brighter future. We look forward, more than ever, to celebrating the artists, producers, studios, venues, photographers, writers, promoters, bookers, and creators this year.

Ballots and Voting will be online, as usual. Winners will be announced December 11th via our website/social media.

General Questions

A. The Boston Music Awards is the longest running regional music awards in the United States. Since 1987, the BMAs have celebrated local musicians across multiple genres — the history can be found here.

See our Covid-19 update at the top of this page.

A. Yes! Each year, the Boston Music Awards is the biggest celebration of local music. The night is a mix of multiple performances (usually, 10 or more live performances) and a chance to interact and network with the people who make our scene so special. Tickets will be available to purchase via this website, keep an eye out for updates on our social media channels.

TICKETS

Information about tickets

A. You can purchase tickets from the following places:

  1. Online on this website (link coming soon).
  2. LiveNation.com (link coming soon).

A. Yes! We provide all nominees with complimentary tickets to the Boston Music Awards. To claim your ticket, click here (link will be live soon).

A. If you submitted a ballot for 2020, please click here to claim your ticket (link will be live soon).

Voting, Nominations & The Nomination Committee

A. Nominees are selected by our Nomination Committee Members (Nom Com). We send our Nom Com an open ballot form where they write in their picks across all award categories. The 10 artists in each category who receive the most write-in’s become nominees for that year.

A. Ballots are sent to Committee Members on the first Friday of September. For 2020, this is September 4th. Committee Members have 10 days (two weekends) to complete the Ballot. Deadline: September 13th, 11:59pm.

A. Our Nomination Committee currently consists of approximately 400 members including, but not limited to, Music Editors/Journalists, Promoters and Agents, Radio Programmers and DJs, Music Business Executives, Music Promotions/Publicists, Artist Managers, Music Producers, Tour Managers, Music Attorneys, Label Executives, and Professors of Music.

A. Yes. Since 2015, we’ve opened up our Nomination Committee each year and accepted new members. This helps us stay on top of new artists/trends. Our feeling is that the more voices we listen to, the better. Since 2015, we’ve more than tripled the number of committee members. Join the Nomination Committee here.

A. Nominees for the 2020 Boston Music Awards will be announced on September 25th at 10am.

A. Once the nominees are announced, the voting begins. The vote is open to the public, who make up 75% of the vote. The other 25% is from the Nomination Committee. The nominee in each category with the most votes wins.

A. Voting for the 2020 Boston Music Awards closes at 11:59pm (EDT) on November 1st.

A. Winners will be announced December 11th. Stay tuned for more info.